Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Born on the 14th of July

Ah Bastille Day... everybody's favorite non-American independence day that isn't Cinco de Mayo. To think that revolutions could be started by storming a fort with seven prisoners using guns that aren't loaded -- only the French. I think that's why we love them.


Of course in the Tour de France its the day where all the French riders go on silly long attacks that never succeed. This morning when I left the house, there were three French rouleurs and the Russian Ignatiev off the front with a tenuous lead. Clearly that means that Ignatiev will ruin the break by not working and then going solo too early.

Enough about bicycle racing though. The main problem with le quatorze juillet, at least from a martinpatrick3 mindset, is deciding what to drink. You could just drink wine, but that seems a little pedestrian. There is always champagne, but flutes are just so formal feeling (not that has really ever stopped me, but I tend to get too dressed up for things). Besides, champagne alone seems a bit generic and year round. I mean, the only day of the year where everybody drinks champagne is New Year's Eve and it is usually quite cold in December. What we need here is something quite festive yet decidedly summery. My proposal: The French 75!

Now, I could really only find one that was in a flute, but rest assured, they are much less fussy on the rocks. In particular, the name is what draws me to this (okay, I do happen to love both gin and champagne, so I might be biased). Revolutionary holidays call for drinks named after guns and this, like its namesake, works quickly and doesn't require much precision. The best part, if you trust my feeble knowledge of French history, is that the aforementioned revolutionaries invaded the Bastille in order to obtain gunpowder and ammunition. The prospect of a French 75 or three leads me to believe that even 220 years later, their efforts should still be considered a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment