Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Things We Like #2

Alright, I have a confession to make. Despite my position at the helm of an accessory shop and my propensity to overdress myself with hats, ties, boutonnieres, belt buckles shaped like birds, funny socks, tie bars, cufflinks and lapel pins, I've never really been that into jewellery. I went through a necklace phase a very long time ago, but for the past few years I just haven't really gotten behind bracelets, rings or necklaces (that being said, I am really excited about our newest line, Nikolai Rose). The above list features a few things that technically are jewellery, but I think you get the gist. I'm certainly not opposed to men wearing such adornments, and in fact I've admired a number of well designed pieces that we've had in the store, especially from Tateossian, that I could just not bring myself to wear. It just isn't my MO... save for one very specific type: the ID bracelet.

The primary reason I like ID bracelets is kind of tacky. Most people know that I go nuts for things that have some type of back story or historical pretext (case in point, things we like #1). The thing that tips the scale for me on such a specific piece of jewellery is that its very rare to find a person older than the age of eleven that has engraved anything on the ID plate itself. We have an item that is intended to identify its owner and yet the vast majority of such pieces live their lives unpersonalized. This fascinates me.

Now, I'm a fan of most ID bracelets, but this one has such a feeling of inconspicuous consumption that I just can't help but gush about it. If you see it on a person's wrist, its just a stainless bracelet. With a closer look though, you'll notice that this particular model has 18 karat gold studs in it: a subtle and unique take on something so recognizable.
We have several things with ID links and all are new, so the interesting lack of back story doesn't really apply. But, I hope the next person to buy one will think a more about that little plate.

$115

No comments:

Post a Comment